Monday, May 9, 2011

So not sure if I have ever told any of you about this before...

So I like to write. I guess that is pretty obvious now since I have two blogs :)

But ever since I was little I have been coming up with these stories in my head, and about 5 years ago I started to write them down. Ever since then I have been fiddling with them. Some have become kind of interesting, some have gotten deleted and started over again, and some were just plain stupid.

I have been working on 3 stories a lot since I have been here. For the most part I think they are ok, but unlike other creative outlets I am interested in, I have a HUGE fear of showing anybody my writing. Only one person has ever read one of my stories and that was my mom. She really liked it, but she's my mom - I have a feeling she will like anything I do.

So obviously if I ever do finish these books, I am going to have to get past this fear, especially if I want to get them published one day.

Do any of you have suggestions on how I can get past this hurdle?

I am just so scarred that everyone will think they are horrible. They will never look at me the same, because I made them read something incredibly stupid.

I know I am worrying too much about it, but to me it is so different then my paintings or photographs being critiqued. My writing is just so personal to me, because it is like I have lived these stories for years as I have thought through each part.

Being published is definitely a goal I want to achieve one day.

So I am going to go out on a limb here, if any of you are interested in reading a rough draft of one of my stories I think I am ready to hear what you think.

But please o please be honest with me.

I dont want to be like one of those horrid singers that try out for American Idol, and fully believe they are THE BEST singer ever.

I guess the only thing I would ask is if you would tell me the truth but nicely. Ha, if that's even possible.

Oh and if you know more about writing, like how things flow, where the story should go. I would also love to know those kind of things. Oh and me & Grammar never got along very well, so you will probably see a lot of those kinds of mistakes :)

Ok before I start spilling out all the things I know I did wrong, just let me know if you would like a copy by leaving me a comment or e-mailing me at emilinered@gmail.com

Love you all so much, and me even telling you this proves that big time :)

Hope you have a wonderful week!

3 comments:

  1. Yay! Yay! Yay! I'm not sure if I knew you liked to write or not, but it seems like it would be something you would like to do since you are a creative gal.

    When I started my English major and Creative Writing minor at Trevecca, I was scared to death. I thought that everyone in my class was going to be so much smarter than me and that people were going to tear apart my poetry, fiction and non-fiction. And guess what? They did. haha, but not too bad. Most told me how to fix things but 1 or 2 could just be rude. (I know that Karye knows all about this too) But taking those classes and letting people read my work (which I had only ever let Karye read) was the best thing I ever did! It made me a better writer and my skin got a little thicker because of it. And by the end of my senior year, I presented two of my stories to the entire English Department and a room full of people, including my family. (I never thought I would do that)

    I'm definitely not the best writer in the world, but I can see a change in my writing from middle school to high school to college to now. I really just had to learn that there were some very amazing writers in my class that I respected enough to listen to what they had to say about my work (ahem Diana Reeves). All in all, it was really scary at first but after a few times it gets easier to take.

    I still work on things now and then quit because I think it's a dumb story or that it would never get published. But I finally had to come to terms with (and still have to tell myself this) the reason why I write is because I like it. Not because I have an agenda. I forget that sometimes when I think, "I'll never be a writer!" But really, I am. And so are you and so is Karye and so is Holly and everyone else who loves to write! We are writers.

    Another thing you have to remember is that first drafts are always going to suck. It may be a great, amazing idea but there will definitely be flaws to the writing style. (I wrote this at the top of one of my stories once: "This is a first draft and it's going to suck, but that's okay! Just keep going.") It will get better as you mold it into something bigger and better. I learned that from Stephen King.

    I WOULD LOVE TO READ SOME OF YOUR WORK! SEND IT TO ME! (I will definitely be gentle but honest).

    Okay now to end this LONG comment with book recommendations. These books have helped me a lot and influenced my writing:

    On Writing, by Stephen King.
    Bird by Bird, by Anne Lammont
    The Art of Fiction, by John Gardener

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to read your stories! My email is HollyVennum@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not to fret, Emily! I'm still reading on your story. I may not get it all done until I get back from Mexico. :) Love you, lady! And I hope all the immigration stuff go worked out! :)

    ReplyDelete